Have you decided to update your dining room with a bold new color, or maybe brighten up the kitchen with a lighter hue? With the holiday season just around the corner, many homeowners choose to freshen up their homes with a new coat of paint. After all, nothing transforms a room faster. But as you look at paint samples and pick your color, you’re starting to wonder about which finish to choose. The painting contractors from 360° Painting® of Charlotte work with paint finishes everyday, helping homeowners in Charlotte, Dilworth, Carmel, South Park, and Waxhaw find the right finish for the job at hand.
Understanding Interior Paint Finishes
Picking the right paint finish is just as important as finding the right color. The finish of the paint affects durability, how the color is seen by the naked eye, and how easily you can hide imperfections in the wall. So how do you decide which finish is best for which job? The painting contractors from 360° Painting of Charlotte can help you choose the paint finish that’s best for your project.
First, let’s look at the basics:
- Flat: This finish is best for concealing imperfections, but should be reserved for walls that don’t require frequent wipe downs. Interior designers prefer to use flat paints as they provide a truer color with no bright spots that a sheen would cause. Ideal for ceilings, living rooms, dining rooms, adult bedrooms, and closets.
- Matte: Matte, sometimes referred to a washable flat is not a dead flat like flat above, but has a very slight sheen. This gives it a little more durability and resistance to burnishing than a flat would. It’s used mostly on walls where a flat is not suitable and an eggshell is considered too shiny.
- Satin and Eggshell: These finishes don’t mask imperfections as well as flat finishes, but they are easy to maintain and work great in high traffic areas of your home. Ideal for children’s bedrooms, hallways, play rooms, and mudrooms.
- Semi-Gloss: More durable and washable than satin and eggshell finishes, but with a visible shine. Ideal for woodwork, trim, and cabinetry. Semi-gloss paints are also frequently used in high moisture areas such as bathrooms, just be sure to select a mildew-resistant formula in those areas.
- Gloss: The most shine and durability of all the paint finishes, but they can have a “plastic” look to them. Ideal for trim and crown moldings, and other architectural features that you want to highlight.
Tips from the Painting Contractors at 360° Painting of Charlotte
While you may prefer the look of one finish over another, there are some practical questions to consider when making your decision:
- What’s the Condition of the Surface? Walls with imperfections can benefit from a flat or matte paint that camouflages bumps and uneven textures.
- How is the Room Used? High traffic areas such as children’s playrooms and hallways need a durable paint that can withstand frequent cleanups.
- How Much Natural Light is Available? Higher-gloss finishes allow more light to reflect around the room, while matte or flat finishes absorb light.
Your painting contractors from 360° Painting of Charlotte have the knowledge and experience needed to pick the right finish for any painting project. Call today at (980) 326-4640 to schedule a free in-person estimate. Our professional painting contractors serve the communities of Charlotte, Dilworth, Myers Park, Carmel, South Park, Piper Glen, Ballantyne, and Waxhaw NC.