Unfortunately we’ve all had to deal with faded or discoloured paint at some point. And, although painting over again with fresh paint will give it new color, it’s beneficial to know why it may have faded in the first place so that we’re not repainting every few years.
In Saskatoon, the 3 major causes of paint fading on the exterior of your home are:
- The Direction the Walls Face
- If you notice that the paint on your south, or southwest facing walls is fading at a more rapid rate than the rest of the house, there is a reason for this. Because of our position to the sun. In Saskatoon, these walls typically receive more exposure to the sun, and cold weather, both of which will fade the paint.
- While on the north and shaded sides of your house, you will see areas that are not exposed to the sun as much. These areas can develop mold and moisture staining. Again, more reasons for paint to fade and become discoloured.
- Poor Quality Paints
- If you or a past painting contractor has used poor quality paints to paint the exterior of your home, this could be causing the fading. Poorer quality paints have less pigment and therefore the color fades considerably faster than higher quality paints. Paints not made with UV protectants will fade much faster.
- Improperly Applied Paint
- If the correct amount of coats weren’t applied to your walls when repainting – or a primer was not used in a drastic color change, your old color paint could be bleeding through. This may look like the paint is fading but in fact it’s that old color showing through because the new paint was incorrectly applied.
No matter the reason for your paint fading, if you’d like a good painting contractor in Saskatoon to come and give you a free quote that will identify the problem and suggest a solution click right HERE or call 360 Painting Saskatoon at (306) 270-6701 to book your free estimate time.